Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 14:15:07 +0100

>> It reminds me of the disabled-command-function machinery, or at least the
>> concept. Maybe there's a decent way to leverage the two concepts into a
>> similar UI pattern?

Yes, that makes sense.  If we do add a "Really execute this command from
this other mode?" thing, then being able to permanently disable the
warning, like with disabled commands, would be nice.

> Talking about integration with other pre-existing functionality: how
> 'bout merging the new command enable functionality with the
> `menu-enable` symbol property?

That does seem natural, doesn't it?

However, I'm not quite sure about the proposed usages for using
completion-predicate for commands that are currently not usable.  In
menus, the commands are still there -- they're just greyed out, so you
can tell that if you just do something (mysterious), then they'll be
enabled.

In `M-x' completion, that's not really a natural...  thing?  (Unless
using a display method that displays all completions, no matter what the
predicate, but sort/display/colour them differently, as Eli suggested.)