RE: [External] : Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 19:43:00 +0000

> > Speaking of a symbol property...
> >
> > IMHO, all of the shenanigans undertaken recently
> > to provide command enabling/filtering should be
> > replaced by simply using a property on command
> > symbols.  (Maybe more than one property, if you
> > really need something complex for some reason.)
>
> This was suggested long ago as one of the alternatives for the
> extension of 'interactive'.

Yes, I know.

> Lars still doesn't think it is better (I disagree).

Yes, I know.

> > I realize that this has already been suggested.
> > The threads are long and rambling, and I may well
> > have missed something, but I don't recall any
> > good reason given for rejecting this approach.
>
> Lars gave his reasons, but I don't consider them
> to be good enough.

A succinct relisting of those reasons would be
good, IMO.  I, for one, completely missed them.

There's nothing I'm aware of that's better suited
for this than using a symbol property.  Simple;
flexible; usable by any party, anywhere, anytime.
No mess, no fuss.  No source code changes (except
to get & test the property).

What's going on instead -- has been, still is,
incomplete, and will need updating forever --
seems complicated, error prone, time-consuming,
overengineered, and simply not necessary.
IMHO.  (But what do I know?)