Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 20:01:50 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2021 18:44:21 +0100
>
> > "C-h x" is a command we introduced for newbies, and then we proceed
> > confusing them with commands that cannot be shown with "C-h x"?  is
> > that reasonable and consistent?
>
> Filtering away `undefined' and `ignore' from completions for newbies
> sounds like a good idea to me: They aren't commands that can be used in
> `M-x'.

I think filtering out commands such as 'undefined' and 'ignore', that
are really just internal implementation details, is okay.  But I
wasn't talking about those, I was talking about digit-argument, which
are full-fledged commands.

We can invent some database for augmenting the results of mechanically
constructing the list of completion candidates by some criteria such
as key bindings etc.  This database could, for example, tell us to
remove 'undefined' and 'ignore' from the list.  Or we may consider
these problems as an indication that perhaps the criteria used for
this are not smart enough to produce useful lists without clutter, and
we should rethink.