Re: master fbc9c59: Make goto-line-history buffer local only when so cus

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: master fbc9c59: Make goto-line-history buffer local only when so customized
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2021 14:27:39 +0000

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> Yes, I had misunderstood, sorry.  I was under the mistaken impression
> that the previous change to the input history was in Emacs 27.  So, yes,
> you're correct, the two entries in NEWS do contradict eachother, and
> need merging into a single entry.
>
> I don't have time to do this today, I'll try and do it over the weekend.

Thanks.

>> This part of (info "(elisp) Minibuffer History") also needs updating:
>
>>  -- Variable: goto-line-history
>>      A history list for arguments to ‘goto-line’.  This variable is
>>      buffer local.
>
> Hmm.  OK.  But what's this variable doing in the elisp manual, as
> opposed to the emacs manual?  It's purely a user convenience.

I think it's there because (info "(elisp) Minibuffer History") already
lists several built-in history variables for standard user commands.

And (info "(emacs) Moving Point") already explains that goto-line has
its own history variable, and links to the Elisp manual, so I don't see
any problem, or how a history variable constitutes a user convenience.

But I also have no strong opinions on whether or how this history
variable should be documented, so feel free to change it as you or
others see fit.

--
Basil