Re: Removing pure space

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Removing pure space
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2021 09:49:23 -0500

> I have not been able to measure any performance changes with this
> patch applied, but unfortunately I'm currently on a system unsuitable
> for running reliable benchmarks. If this is a concern, any help
> measuring the performance impact more accurately would be appreciated.

The main expected benefit from the purespace is that the GC doesn't need
to look at it, so the GC should be faster because it looks at a smaller
part of the heap.

So I think a good micro-benchmark which should expose the worst-case
impact of removing the purespace would be to compare the time taken to
perform GC (I think the effect should be most visible right at startup
since the more packages and stuff you have loaded, the smaller the
proportion of the heap kept in purespace).

        Stefan