Re: font-lock-fontify-block

From: Stefan Reichör
Subject: Re: font-lock-fontify-block
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 08:49:37 +0100

>>> Wow, I didn't expect that.  I was instead about to ask for details about
>>> the mentions of `font-lock-fontify-block' since I view it as a command
>>> which "should" be a no-op (barring bugs, obviously).
>>>
>>> I'd be quite interested to know more about those existing use cases (they
>>> may point to other misgivings of mine, as well).
>>
>> When I edit code, I sometimes see it mis-fontified when I'm half-way
>> through editing a syntactic construct.  Unlike some others, I don't
>> expect font-lock to do a 110% perfect job in every situation, and
>> prefer a casual M-o M-o to having font-lock definition for a mode
>> perfected to a point where it becomes unbearably sluggish.
>
> OK, so your use case is when font-lock is already enabled.
> Do you have some general idea of what are the most common reasons for
> the temporary mis-fontification?

I am still using emacs-muse. My .muse files often contain a lot of links
to files. These links are often wrong fontified (not the whole file link
is fontified, but just the start of it).

M-o M-o seems to cure this problem.

This mis-fontification is in Emacs since years. But I am sure there was
a time when it worked without a problem.

The mis-fontification is not always on the same position. I varies every
time a open the file (no idea why).

For me this is inconvenient, but I have learned to live with it.

In the attached image you see on the top 3 incomplete fontified lines.
In the bottom part you see the result after M-x font-lock-fontify-block
(everything is fontified correct here).

Stefan.