RE: [External] : Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Proposal for an improved `help-for-help'
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 02:37:22 +0000

> https://i.imgur.com/Cv67yUN.png

There are no doubt other things to be said about this.

But for one thing, IMO:

It's not helpful to provide short descriptions
(OK) but no links to the help for each key (KO).
We have that help; we can link to it; but you
choose not to.  Why?

Coloring the keys, especially in a context
where they're well separated from the other
text, helps nothing.

It actually hurts - it can give the impression
there's something going on there - e.g., a link
or a button.  You even chose blue (like a link)
and a box (like a button).  If ever there was
gratuitous - even misleading - coloring, this
is it.

(I'm assuming those colored keys are not links.
If they are links, then they should appear like
other links in Emacs.)

It's not hard or tricky to put links on keys.
You prefer your action-less coloring.  A pity.
So be it.

Is this the way we are going to show keys in
*Help* from now on - boxed blue text?  I, for
one, hope not.  Even aside from the coloring
being gratuitous and misleading, it also makes
the keys more difficult to read.  A trifecta.