Re: master 432c1aa: Use `pop-to-buffer-same-window' in `project-eshell'

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 432c1aa: Use `pop-to-buffer-same-window' in `project-eshell'
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 22:03:33 +0200

On 20.03.2021 21:29, Theodor Thornhill wrote:

Too often i feel emacs places buffers or windows in seemingly arbitrary places,
destroying my window setup. To circumvent this, my default display-buffer
behavior is to always reuse same window. If we make more and more parts of
emacs decide this on their own, I have to add more and more edge cases to make
emacs behave.

That seems to be common practice among advanced users.

I generally rely on the default behavior in this case except for a few commands. As far as Emacs windowing woes go, I often get bit by windows being resized improperly after quit-window.

Should we force one behavior over another?

FWIW, my (moderate) preference is Eshell's behavior because it's also
consistent with IELM or Dired. And I use it more.

Yeah, Im inclined to agree, though I dont think we should force it.

So... use pop-to-buffer-same-window in both cases, then?

It should obey display-buffer-alist anyway, so the user can still override it, as long as they know how.