Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Robin Tarsiger
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 12:20:49 -0500

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> I don't use `C-o' myself, so I can't really say to what degree this
> would be annoying or not for users.  Any `C-o' users who have an opinion
> here?

I'm a corner case here, FWIW. I use C-o quite frequently to open a new
line... except I didn't like Emacs's line-splitting behavior! Instead
I define dxc/vim-style-open-line as (goto-char (point-at-eol))
(insert "\n") to approximate what 'o' does in Vim. I should possibly
add support for a prefix argument to switch to before the current
line, and maybe indentation...

I think I mentioned in an earlier thread that any redefinition of
C-o would probably make me grumble for a short while before adjusting
my customizations to compensate, if nothing else. But I'm also quite
sympathetic to the "increasing skew between people's keymaps creates
fragmentation issues" line of thought---I'm just already invested in
one branch of response to that in practice...

-RTT