RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Stephan Mueller
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 18:11:39 +0000

Since opinions are explicitly being solicited, and since I have not encountered
a particular point in my not-necessarily-comprehensive reading of this thread,
I'll add one:

I use C-o (usually followed by C-n) many times a day, instead of <Enter>, in
order to suppress re-indentation of the current line in cases where that
re-indentation will be incorrect for my purposes**.

Needing to hit C-o twice would make the workaround more painful.  I expect I
would end up rebinding in my .emacs to restore the current behaviour.

Also, I find myself nodding in agreement to the argument (apologies for not
recalling who made it in this thread) that as a long-standing and fairly
'basic' binding, it is in use in other editors that try to be Emacs-like.
Changing the default behaviour here would introduce confusion to the world and
confound muscle memory.

stephan();

** Of course, addressing the indentation issue would be good, but that
perpetually remains a task for another day -- it's not a configurable
behaviour, and will require me to do substantial research into cperl mode to
understand more.  That said, even in cases not involving my oddly formatted
perl, auto-indentation seems generally accurate enough to keep using, and
inaccurate enough to need a workaround multiple times daily.