Re: Detecting changes between dark and light mode on Mac OS

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Detecting changes between dark and light mode on Mac OS
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 21:07:53 +0100

Daphne Preston-Kendal <dpk@nonceword.org> writes:

> Okay, well, if there are plans to support similar functionality
> cross-platform, surely it’s okay to add it just for Mac OS for now?
> There’s already quite a few Mac OS specific features in nsterm.m and
> nsfns.m. The ns-appearance property on frames, which already provides
> a limited form of integration with this Mac OS feature (you can set
> the theme to light or dark on a per-frame basis, but it doesn’t tell
> you what the system sets it to by default, which my patch fixes) is
> one of them!

Some non-free system specific things have snuck in over the years, but
we try not to.

> Or is your suggestion that I simply rename this hook to
> dark-mode-changed-hook without the ns- prefix, notwithstanding that it
> doesn’t currently work on any platform other than Mac OS?

No, the project policy is that features like this should also have an
implementation on free systems, too, before support for non-free systems
are added, unfortunately.

So support for dark mode on GNU/Linux has to be added first (or at the
same time).