RE: [External] : Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 21:19:36 +0000

> > I prefer the classic Emacs RET and C-j behavior.
>
> You mean the one where RET sometimes indents and sometimes doesn't
> depending on the preference of the major mode's author?  ;-)

I suppose I do.  But the major modes I use
haven't presented a problem for me in that regard.

I use C-j to get a newline + indent behavior, just
as it always did.  And RET to get a newline-only
behavior, just as it always did.

I don't get any weird RET behavior in any modes
I use - RET just inserts a newline.  I do get
mode-specific behavior for C-j.

(Not important; just the reverse.)
___

I do find it interesting that the doc string of
`electric-indent-mode' says nothing about C-j
or RET.  Yet NEWS for Emacs 24.4 put that key
change front and center:

 *** `electric-indent-mode' is now enabled by default.
 Typing RET reindents the current line and indents the
 new line. `C-j' inserts a newline but does not indent.
 In some programming modes, additional characters are
 electric (eg `{').