RE: [External] : Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 21:26:06 +0000

>    > Obviously, I'm not proposing this just to leave the that key
>    > unused.
>
>    Oh, but I wish that _were_ the proposal...  Unused AND
>    with an intention not to bind it by default at all.
>
> Seeing that to get sensible behaviour in Emacs is to re-bind it, why
> can't you do the same and ignore whatever it is bound too?

As a user, of course I can.  I'm talking about 3rd-party
code.

And sure, 3rd-party code can likewise trample on Emacs
default bindings.  But that's asking for trouble.

I don't think we want to _encourage_ that.  But by
binding more and more keys by default, Emacs dev does
indeed risk encouraging just that - a wild free-for-all.