Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 01:16:17 -0400

  > C-o in the original Emacs didn't quite do what C-o now does: the line(s)
  > created by C-o were "eated" by the text that was inserted.  In other
  > words, RET in the line(s) created with C-o did not push the next lines
  > down, it went on the next created line (if any).

For historical accuracy, I should correct that statement.

C-o inserted a line break in the buffer after point.
RET advanced over a newline into a blank line;
otherwise it inserted a newline.  In this way, RET would
eat up the blank lines.

Both of them operated by modifying the buffer, and the screen
reflected the buffer contents.

I sometimes made several black lines with C-u C-o or C-u C-u C-o,
then filled them in, advancing by RET.  At the end, if exta blank
lines remained, I removed them with C-x C-o.

--
Dr Richard Stallman