Re: 'M-o' ('facemap-keymap') has now been removed until March 10th 2021

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: 'M-o' ('facemap-keymap') has now been removed until March 10th 2021
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 09:20:24 +0000

By the way, what actual problems do you see in font-lock-update? Do you see cases where it produces unexpected results?

Just the toggling part. The command is called `font-lock-update' but when font-lock-mode is active and the command is called with ARG, it turns font-lock-mode off. From the docstring I'm not sure if that was your intention?

Of course it was my intention, the docstring says "With prefix ARG, toggle Font Lock mode." Isn't that clear enough?

Given this is a default key binding on the Holy ctl-x-map (technically the ctl-x-x-map), it should probably do what it says on the tin.

You mean, it's the word "update" in the name of the command you don't like? It's supposed to be a "dwim"-like command:

- when font-lock-mode is disabled, enable it and fontify buffer
- when font-lock-mode is enabled, refontify buffer
- with a prefix argument, toggle font-lock-mode "correctly" (i.e. making sure
that the buffer is unfontified when disabling)

Whe font-lock-mode is enabled, you can turn it off with C-u C-x x f. When it is disabled, you can turn it on with C-u C-x x f, or simply C-x x f.