Re: 'M-o' ('facemap-keymap') has now been removed until March 10th 2021

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 'M-o' ('facemap-keymap') has now been removed until March 10th 2021
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 09:07:50 -0400

>> Unless I'm fundamentally missing something, the new command
>> font-lock-update only duplicates the functionality of existing command
>> font-lock-fontify-buffer, and adds some confusion...
>>

> It does not duplicate the fonctionality, font-lock-fontify-buffer is bugged,
> font-lock-update isn't (hopefully).  To see one of its bugs, open your
> .emacs file, M-x font-lock-mode (which turns font-lock-mode off), M-x
> font-lock-fontify-buffer.  Now change some characters: the
> fontification remains.

BTW, the problem with the above is not whether this behavior is
"expected" or not (after all, the behavior of known bugs is also
arguably "expected").

The question is whether it's *desirable*, and some concrete use-cases to
back up the claim would be very handy.

So far, the only use-case I know of is the one where font-lock-keywords
is nil, so the "fontification" ends up *removing* faces.

        Stefan