Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 09:46:38 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 01:14:37 -0400
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, tomas@tuxteam.de, gregory@heytings.org, pwr@bydasein.com,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>   > "A lot"?  Aren't we exaggerating a bit?  This thread amassed more than
> 150 messages; how many of them can be qualified as "ungood karma"?
>
> Instead of disputing who is more wrong, how about if we simply try to
> make the discussion kind from now on?

I generally find abstract calls to behave kindly not effective enough.
First, it is unclear who was unkind, or why some utterance/behavior is
unkind, or how to behave differently to make it less so.  If someone
indeed intended to be unkind, then the answer is clear at least to
that person.  But that is rarely the case; it certainly isn't so in
this last episode.

Therefore, I find that discussing this a bit is indeed beneficial, as
it lets people think more about possible misinterpretations of their
words, and maybe choose better ones next time; and it also tells those
on the receiving end to be more tolerant to what could well be an
innocent joke or even just a misunderstanding, due to language and
cultural nuances.