Re: Sv: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Sv: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU ELPA?]
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 15:14:35 +0200

Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es> writes:

> - url.el is slow compared to using curl as an inferior process.  Again,
>   the blog post cites some possible culprits, which I don't know if they
>   still apply to Emacs 28, so I think we should profile url.el to
>   identify its bottlenecks more precisely.

url.el is slow (and slightly buggy and has an awkward interface); a new
implementation is on the scratch/with-url branch, which I will merge
any...  month...  now.

The other issue is that Emacs has a generally slow process interface due
to the way it's geared towards inputting artefacts from the file
systems, with all that entails for coding systems etc -- which is 100%
irrelevant for the networking protocols that are dominant today, none of
which are character oriented, but only deal with streams of octets.  (In
addition, the interfaces are slow in themselves, with process filter
functions being the primary culprit in my tests.)

These things are solvable and will result in all Emacs networking
processes not being as slow as they are now...  but the work just has to
be done.

Starting to work on this has been my priority for ... a year, but things
keep taking precedence.

I don't see adding a new C level library for HTTP/1.1 being very useful,
but for HTTP/3 it might make more sense.  Unless somebody sees
implementing HTTP/3 on the Lisp level as being a fun challenge, which
might happen.