Re: [External] : Re: Could the current font-lock mechanism support font

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Could the current font-lock mechanism support font locking code in comments?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 21:12:46 -0400

> Vanilla Emacs might not have dimming, but Emacs has it.
> Library `doremi-frm.el' provides commands that let
> you incrementally dim or strengthen a face or frame
> foreground or background.

What I meant is that there is no way to define a face that dims
other faces.

What you point to is what I was referring to as the hard way: you have
to come up with a list of faces used by the font-lock rules then pass it
to a function (like the ones in `doremi-frm`) which returns a new face
(since you can't modify the actual font-lock faces which are still
being needed in their non-dimmed form) and then arrange to run the
existing rules in such a way that they actually use your newly
defined faces.

It's cumbersome and tricky to do it in a reliable way.

Instead, what we'd need is a face whose effect is to modify the
underlying face (e.g. by dimming it).  I guess alpha-blending could be
used for that.

        Stefan