Re: Git master head build failure?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Git master head build failure?
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 16:07:56 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: theophilusx@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 09:03:53 -0400
>
> > This should be added to the 'extraclean' target, IMO (together with
> > all the other generated files in lisp/cedet).
>
> I can never remember which clean target does what (and reading their
> description has usually not been sufficient to be able to predict which
> files would remain when I wasn't sure).  Luckily I don't think it
> matters much because I never invoke such targets.
>
> But what does matter is what happens when we `make bootstrap`, because
> this is a much more common need than `make maintainer-clean` or `make
> extraclean`.

I never use "make bootstrap": does that mean it isn't important
either? ;-)

Seriously, though: this depends on your workflows.  AFAIU most people
do "make bootstrap" to solve problems with Lisp macro expansions, and
for that forcing them to regenerate every single file that isn't
versioned is not the best idea.  If you want to start from a pristine
clone, just clone a new worktree.