Re: icomplete-vertical above prompt

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: icomplete-vertical above prompt
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 12:37:10 +0300

* Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org> [2021-04-12 02:03]:

> > Regardless of the value of icomplete-vertical-mode-above-prompt, in both
> > cases it jumps once, and that's the problem for users who don't like
> > such jumps, even once.
> >

> I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  How could you display completion
> candidates without moving the modeline?  I suppose what you have in mind is
> posframes?  But posframes are a completely different beast, and don't work
> in terminals AFAIK.
>
> For that matter, I also don't understand why users "don't like such jumps
> even once".  The point is to make some room to display some information, the
> same happens in many cases, like when *Completions* is opened, or with
> popular packages such as Magit or which-key.

For me mode line is always static as by impression, standard
completion does not jerk it up and only completion packages do
that. First completion I was using was helm and it did not fiddle with
the mode line. Great. Until I found ivy and others who do that. IMHO
best representation is when a small window appears with candidates
above the mode line, or even full screen in some cases.

Jerking mode line up down is not in harmony with the description of
mode line in the manual.

File: emacs.info,  Node: Mode Line,  Next: Menu Bar,  Prev: Echo Area,  Up:
Screen

1.3 The Mode Line

At the bottom of each window is a “mode line”, which describes what is
going on in the current buffer.  When there is only one window, the mode
line appears right above the echo area; it is the next-to-last line in
the frame.

Non-jerked mode line offers better accessibility.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://rms-support-letter.github.io/