Re: Horizontal centering in the display engine

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Horizontal centering in the display engine
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 10:04:21 -0400

> I want this centering display to be handled by the display engine, as
> other similar things are.

Another way to say it is that you want it to work even when the buffer
is displayed simultaneously in two different windows of different sizes
and using different default faces.

The current display engine doesn't know how to do that.  While I'm not
personally very interested in centering text in the window, I'd be very
happy to see improvements in this area of the display engine (the part
I'm interested in is for tabular display where :align-to doesn't really
work for right-aligned columns).

        Stefan