Re: Finding the dump (redux)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Finding the dump (redux)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 09:26:57 -0400

> We seem to have a basic difference of opinion about /usr/bin.
> I don't think it's OK for programs to drop their data files there,
> and I can't think of any significant other examples of programs that
> do.

I tend to agree.

> About the idea of moving the binaries out of /usr/bin, where we
> could add the pdmp files, the problem there, is that we want users
> have all those names in their PATH.

That reminds me: I think ideally, we should see the pdmp files as the
executables and the temacs file as a runtime library (after all,
a single temacs file can be used with several different pdmp files).

If we could find a nice&portable way to turn the pdmp files into
executables, then that would be The Right Way.

        Stefan