Re: Simplification of `affixation-function`

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Simplification of `affixation-function`
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 01:48:13 +0300

On 25.04.2021 01:34, Stefan Monnier wrote:
because internally it depends on the predefined order of elements:
“completion + suffix” or “completion + prefix + suffix”.
There is no backward-compatible way to change this order.
We don't need to worry about backward compatibility here since this
functionality has not yet been included in any released Emacs.

Speaking of not being able to change it after the release, am I right to assume that this feature's main target is completing-read and not completion-at-point-functions?

Nobody proposed a patch for Company, and I'm not sure how to handle such non-semantic affixations in there (icons generally require more care since they often take up more than single character width).

Speaking of it's used in help--symbol-completion-table-affixation, we have recently added a related feature called 'kind' in Company which assigns each completion a icon (using a user-customizable mapping and/or algorithm).

You can see its integration in elisp-completion-at-point (the :company-kind attributes).