Re: Simplification of `affixation-function`

From: Daniel Mendler
Subject: Re: Simplification of `affixation-function`
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 20:08:37 +0200

On 4/25/21 7:58 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
I guess my problem with it is, with the apparent end goal of flexibility, it ends up targeting only the default completion UI, and the more an alternative UI is different from it, the worse the result can look.

And without semantic information, it fails to take advantage of the additional features the alternative UIs might provide.

You are right about that. As things stand now the annotation/affixation-function only work well for the default completions buffer and the vertical completion UIs. The completion-at-point popups are very different from that, so it is only fair if they try to invent their own metadata functions as you are doing in Company with `company-kind` etc.

However I am a bit critical with regards to the "semantic information". As far as I understood you use some icon names for that, but this restricts the purpose of the annotations. Maybe it would be sufficient to use a more crude solution, where you only specify that the annotations/affixations must be sufficiently short in order to display well in the popups, without going the full way to the semantic kinds.

Daniel