Re: emacs --daemon and M-x malloc-info

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs --daemon and M-x malloc-info
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 14:48:13 +0300

> From: Madhu <enometh@meer.net>
> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 07:33:27 +0530
>
> Fmalloc_info writes to stderr, which is closed in a daemonized emacs.

AFAIU, this happens only in the background daemon.  So using a
foreground daemon should allow you to redirect the output to a file.

> A new logfile argument to emacs

I don't see a reason to add a new knob, when there is already a
solution.  This is a diagnostic feature, so even if the daemon didn't
have a solution at all, I would hesitate adding a new option: you can
always run Emacs normally, and any serious memory related problem will
show itself in that configuration as well.