Re: Buffer-local process environments

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Buffer-local process environments
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 19:44:11 +0200

Augusto Stoffel <arstoffel@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Augusto,

>> Have you checked, that this works for remote processes? this is already
>
> In fact it breaks with remote processes, see at the end of my previous
> message in reply to Stefan.
>
> But I think it's a Tramp bug.  Tramp is supposed to completely ignore
> `process-environment', right?  So it shouldn't matter if that variable
> is buffer local or not.

No. See my reply the other message.

Granted, it is a hack. I would be happy if we could use something else,
but this is the state of affairs we cannot break reckless.

>> hairy, and I fear it would be even more complicate. If we are going to
>> change something in this department, I'd be happy to have also a
>> rock-solid solution for remote processes.
>
> True.  "Connection-local variable" sounds a lot like "project-local
> variable" to me.  Maybe there could be a unified mechanism.

No, they are not project-local. For example, via connection-local
variables you could specify which shell to use on remote.

About the syntax ... Tramp is backwards compatible down to Emacs
25. Connection-local variables were introduced in Emacs 26. I'm all ears
to new proposals, but we must ensure this compatibility.

Best regards, Michael.