Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 09:07:28 +0200

> Thanks for the experiment that demonstrates how it's possible
> to implement this feature for all Emacs versions.
>
> Now the question is whether it's worth to have this feature
> in isearch.el where adding it will allow simplifications.

Agreed.  I don't have a formed opinion yet.  If it's decided against
changing isearch.el in this direction, I would like to submit isearch-mb
as an ELPA package.

> What would be good customization options for that?  I imagine
> a new boolean option 'isearch-buffer-local'.  Maybe later
> it would require a new value to support even multiple isearch
> sessions in different buffers.  In this case, all state variables
> like isearch-cmds, isearch-lazy-highlight-overlays etc. could be made
> buffer-local.

I don't understand why `isearch-buffer-local' should be a user
customization, since it doesn't change the external behavior of Isearch,
but simply improves the implementation.  It might break third-party code
that hacks into isearch.el, though.