Re: Small shell-mode patch to handle auto-cd (e.g. shells like zsh)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Small shell-mode patch to handle auto-cd (e.g. shells like zsh)
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 11:23:01 +0300

> From: Jason Kim <jason.w.kim@icloud.com>
> Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 12:55:07 -0700
>
> Hi, Please find enclosed a small patch against emacs-lisp (packaged with
> emacs 26.3 on recent emacsen on recent ubuntu (20.4.0.2 ?)
>
> I'd be more than happy to do the leg work to get it "install ready" but
> may need some advice on how to do that.

Thanks.  Some comments on your patch:

 . We prefer patches relative to the current development sources on
   the master branch of the Emacs Git repository.  Would it be
   possible for you to update the patch so it is relative to the
   latest sources?  If so, please also send the diffs using the
   command "git format-patch", as it makes it easier to apply the
   diffs.

 . Please accompany the changeset with a ChangeLog-style commit log
   message; see the file CONTRIBUTE for the details of how to format
   the log message according to our conventions.

 . A few comments on the code itself:

> +(defvar shell-has-auto-cd nil
> +  "if set to true, shell-mode assumes that a command that resolves to a
> directory
> +is an implicit cd command. Useful for shells like zsh that has this
> feature.")

This should be a defcustom, so that users could customize it easily.

The first line of the doc string should be a single complete
sentence.  Something like this:

  If non-nil, `shell-mode' will automatically process implicit \"cd\" commands.

(Then in the following text of the doc string explain what does
"implicit cd command" mean in this context.)

Should this variable's value be computed automatically based on the
shell's name?

> -             end cmd arg1)
> +             end cmd arg1 cmdS)

I wonder if you could find a more descriptive name for the cmdS
variable.