RE: [External] : Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 23:06:12 +0000

> > What really is the _concrete problem_ that you're trying
> > to solve, for which you think (IIUC) that Isearch should
> > use the minibuffer (aside from the current uses it makes
> > of the minibuffer, which are really outside searching)?
>
> When you type 'C-f' in a web browser, it activates the "minibuffer".

Sorry, I don't follow you.  Do you mean some Emacs
web browser, such as EWW?  Or does your quoting the
word mean that you're trying to make some kind of
(hand-waving) analogy?  I guess I should assume the
latter.

> Then you can type a search string.  As soon as you type a character
> in the minibuffer, it immediately updates the search state
> in the original window.  You can edit the search string
> while the minibuffer is active, and the search results are
> updated immediately.

Mentally quoting each occurrence of "minibuffer"
there, and trying to imagine your analogy to using
a common web browser such as Chrome, what's the
essential difference from Emacs behavior that you're
trying to point out?

`C-s' in Emacs does that as well, no?  As soon as
you type a char in the "minibuffer" (but just as for
a web browser, it's not really a minibuffer)...  You
can edit the search string while the "minibuffer" is
active, and the search results are updated
immediately.  No?

> Also each browser window has own search.

There, I can see a difference.  But I see no
connection with a minibuffer.

> There are no plans to change the current default isearch behavior,
> but still users might want to have an option to have a search
> like in browsers.

What does "search like in browsers" mean in this
context?  And what's the improvement that that
offers?  And what does it have to do with changing
Isearch to use the minibuffer?