Re: Proposing changes to adjust_frame_size

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Proposing changes to adjust_frame_size
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 09:55:16 +0200

> (tool-bar-mode -1)
> (menu-bar-mode -1)
> (when (fboundp 'scroll-bar-mode)
>    (scroll-bar-mode -1))
> (when (fboundp 'horizontal-scroll-bar-mode)
>    (horizontal-scroll-bar-mode -1))
>
> (setq default-frame-alist '((width . 90)
>                              (height . 50)))
>
> With "emacs -Q --load repro.el" where repro.el contains just the above
> listing, I get an initial frame with the usual annoyance (a menubar
> which vanishes on focus/resize), and in addition C-x 5 2 gives me a new
> frame which has a scrollbar which won't vanish except by M-x
> scroll-bar-mode RET twice.  (The first makes the scrollbars appear also
> on the initial frame, the second turns it off in both frames).

Can you reproduce any of these problems without the
`default-frame-alist' setting?  In either case, please do the

  frame_size_history = list1 (make_fixnum (100));

assignment and tell me what calling `frame--size-history' gives after
the initial frame has appeared.  After that do

(setq frame-size-history '(100))

run C-x 5 2 and again post what `frame--size-history' returns.

> Also interestingly, with just emacs -Q, C-x 5 2 exhibits the "toolbar is
> missing in the new frame" issue.

Again, I'd need to know what `frame--size-history' tells about this.  Is
this behavior new or did it already occur in Emacs 27?

martin