Re: Bug-reference auto-setup for Rmail (please test)

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Bug-reference auto-setup for Rmail (please test)
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 12:28:11 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> What you need to do is activate `bug-reference-mode' in Rmail, so
>> probably:
>>
>>   (add-hook 'rmail-mode-hook #'bug-reference-mode)
>>
>> and then it'll try to guess the right `bug-reference-bug-regexp' and
>> `bug-reference-url-format' based on the List-Id, To, From, and Cc
>> headers according to the customize option
>> `bug-reference-setup-from-mail-alist' which should at least have a
>> suitable default value for (some) emacs-related mailinglists including
>> emacs-devel.
>
> It doesn't seem to work here, or maybe I'm doing something wrong.
>
> I've ran "M-x rmail RET" on some mbox file with a message from
> debbugs, then turned on bug-reference-mode there.  The bug references
> are indeed displayed as buttons,

That's because `bug-reference-bug-regexp' has a global default value
which happens to match "our" bug numbers.

> but pushing the button does nothing, because
>
>      (overlay-get o 'bug-reference-url)
>
> returns nil.  What am I doing wrong?

Most probably nothing.  Is there a bug address like
48439@debbugs.gnu.org in that mail's To, From, Cc?  That should be
matched fine by the default regexp in
`bug-reference-setup-from-mail-alist'.  Could you please verify that
`bug-reference-try-setup-from-rmail' runs when you activate
`bug-reference-mode' in your rmail buffer?  And if it does but still
doesn't set the `bug-reference-url-format', could you share an mbox with
just that message?

Bye,
Tassilo