Re: Bug-reference auto-setup for Rmail (please test)

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Bug-reference auto-setup for Rmail (please test)
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 16:23:54 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > OK, but what is this supposed to do for other forums, like
>> > emacs-devel? what is the relevant URL there?
>>
>> The default value sets
>>
>>   bug-reference-bug-regexp = "\\([Bb]ug ?#?\\)\\([0-9]+\\(?:#[0-9]+\\)?\\)"
>>   bug-reference-url-format = "https://debbugs.gnu.org/%s";
>>
>> if some considered mail header (To, From, Cc, List-ID) matches something
>> emacs-related including emacs-devel@gnu.org (or some auctex, org-mode,
>> tramp) mailing list address or list-id.
>
> At least for Emacs, when we mention bug#NNNNN on emacs-devel, we
> always mean debbugs, so the URL seems independent of the forum.

There are possible many forums mapping to the same URL, i.e.,
emacs-devel, tramp-devel, and auctex-devel all map to debbugs.

> We could add an Rmail-specific defcustom in bug-reference.el, which,
> if non-nil, will tell Rmail to run bug-reference-rmail-setup when
> showing a message.

Well, I've guessed that Rmail is probably not the single one exception
so I went ahead and added a new function which you could

  (add-hook 'rmail-show-message-hook
            #'bug-reference-mode-force-auto-setup)

which should hopefully do what its name and docstring suggest.

It would be awesome if you could test, e.g., by doing the above and

  (add-to-list 'bug-reference-setup-from-mail-alist
             '(nil
               "tsdh@gnu.org"
               "the" ;; just because its surely in every mail
               "http://tsdh.org/%s";))

Then, mails from/to/cc me should have "the" highlighted as bug
references (bug-reference-bug-regexp) and the bug-reference-url-format
should be http://tsdh.org/%s.

When switching to another mail on emacs-devel/debbugs without me, the
url should again be the debbugs one.

Bye,
Tassilo