Re: "after" variable watchers

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: "after" variable watchers
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 17:10:47 +0200

>> window_updeco_window is called indirectly from all places that change a
>> window's decorations, font or size.
>
> Would it make sense to call it more lazily, e.g. as part of redisplay
> (basically, the watchpoints would just set some dirty bits and then at
> the beginning of redisplay you'd then run `window_updeco_window` on
> those windows with the dirty bit set)?

That was my first approach given our current implementation of watch
points.  I spent a couple of weeks on it but it didn't really work out.
Between the time a variable is set and the time the setting is applied,
the "realized" values would be inaccurate.  These values are, however,
needed in too many places before we start redisplaying a window.

I do not want to exclude that such a lazy approach could work.  But it
would require more profound changes to the way window sizes and
decorations are processed than the approach based on "after" variable
watchers.

martin