Re: emacsclient in elisp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacsclient in elisp
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 22:45:25 +0300

> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, bugs@gnu.support, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Daniel Mendler <mail@daniel-mendler.de>
> Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 21:10:37 +0200
>
> Of course, there is another Emacs on the other side of the pipe. It is
> Emacs all the way down ;)

But then I don't understand the importance of stdin in this context.
If you want to read output from another program, just run that
program, in this case another Emacs, as a subprocess.  Then anything
that other program writes to its stdout will be read as part of normal
machinery of reading sub-process output, including filters, sentinels,
and all that.

So what am I missing here?

> Seriously though, it does not matter what sits on the other end.

It really does matter, because without understanding these details we
cannot make sure we are on the same page discussing these matters.  I
understand that you have something specific in mind, but if you don't
describe that something in enough detail for me to understand what you
have in mind, we will be forever mis-communicating.