Re: [ELPA?] Controlling Isearch from the minibuffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA?] Controlling Isearch from the minibuffer
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 11:05:36 -0400

> The main point here is that you cannot (easily) affect windows while
> in recursive-edit: Emacs is designed to undo any such changes.

Actually, AFAIK this is misleading.  I believe the cause of the problem
is the save&restore of the window configuration performed by
`read-from-minibuffer` (which is both a blessing and a curse, depending
on the situation).

There are some discussions of removing it (recently, for example, within
the longish threads around Alan's rework of the placement of
minibuffers), but it's not going to happen until someone takes on the
challenge to try and address the many use cases where restoring the
window-config is (very) useful.

        Stefan