RE: [External] : Re: Change default behavior of some commands that act o

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Change default behavior of some commands that act on region?
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 00:24:53 +0000

> > There are some commands, such as `downcase-region',
> > that act on the region regardless of whether it's
> > active.  Because `transient-mark-mode' has been on by
> > default for quite a while now, and because there are
> > few such commands, users can wonder what's going on.
>
> I use such customization, problem solved:
>
> (define-key esc-map "u" 'upcase-dwim)
> (define-key esc-map "l" 'downcase-dwim)
> (define-key esc-map "c" 'capitalize-dwim)

1. Once again: the thread is about such commands in
   general - commands that affect the region whether
   or not it is active.

2. Proposing other commands and bindings doesn't
   take care of the problem.  Unless you are also
   proposing swapping alternative commands for each
   such problematic command, and giving them the
   key bindings of the old commands.  (And again,
   not just letter-case commands.)