Re: Q: BLV for function slots + BL obarray/hmap for symbol lookup?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Q: BLV for function slots + BL obarray/hmap for symbol lookup?
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 23:25:22 -0400

> Ok, there you have something interesting. In which way? If you have time
> to expand on that one. It is already possible to use custo obarray, but
> we have to tell Emacs which obarray to use. I would like it to sort of
> happen automatically if there is a buffer local one. Sort of. No idea
> what would happen if there were more than one local :-).

I have the impression that your needs are a bit vague ;-)
E.g. which buffer should be used to resolve the "buffer-localness"?
The one when `intern` is called or the one when the already-interned
symbol is used?

Maybe you'd be interested in the effort to add some kind of namespace
mechanism by adding some "prefix rewrite" rules used by the reader, so
you could say that the "f:" prefix maps to "formi-" and then a
symbol like "f:dable" is read as "formi-dable"?

        Stefan