Re: [External] : Re: Change default behavior of some commands that act o

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Change default behavior of some commands that act on region?
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 10:14:08 +0300

> From: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 01:37:41 +0000
> Cc: "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > Indeed, it is important to keep full support for configs where
> > `transient-mark-mode` is disabled.  Not only many users prefer such
> > a config, but as you mention, there are also cases where such a config
> > is not just a question of taste.
>
> Yes, and this is irrelevant to this thread, as the
> proposed change has no effect on users who disable
> `transient-mark-mode'.  They continue to have "full
> support".
>
> But I suppose if the contrary gets repeated enough
> then the thread can continue to be drowned out by
> misrepresentation.  Of course, a misreading can be
> an honest mistake...  Once.

Please stop this disrespectful attitude towards the views of others.
Please also don't assume that people who disagree with you haven't
read what you wrote.

The issue you consider "irrelevant" is actually quite relevant,
because commands that behave differently depending on whether
transient-mark-mode is on or off are a source of confusion and
frustration.  We shouldn't enlarge the number of such commands
willy-nilly.