Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port
Date: Sat, 29 May 2021 15:06:43 -0400

> bidirectional display and compared it with my subjective notion of
> "delay": anything below 100ms was barely tangible, anything below 50ms
> was perceived as "instantaneous".

The "rule of thumb" that I internalized over the years in my model of
the world is that a "key press to display" of ~100ms is perceived by
most people as "almost but not quite instantaneous" and only once you
get below 50ms is it really perceived as instantaneous by most people.

Take it with a large grain of salt, tho because I don't know where I got
this from, really, and I'm not particularly interested in this subject
(my "Emacs built with -Og and all debugging assertions, plus extra ones
I added over the years" running on my rather old machines often has
delays significantly higher than that; I have a fairly high tolerance
for those things ;-)

        Stefan