Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 15:44:48 +0300

On 04.06.2021 14:22, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Ask Dmitry about performance problems with native JSON support, and
the effort we invested (a year ago?) into optimizing UTF-8 encoding of
strings, to squeeze every last percent of performance.

About a year ago, yes (bug#31138 plus some follow-ups).

With string encoding taken care of, IIUC the current bottleneck is in parsing: Lisp object allocation which still has to happen on the current thread (some way to use parallel heaps could help with that).

And to get all of the highlightings for the current buffer, we will need to parse the response JSON document, probably also fairly large.