Re: CSV parsing and other issues (Re: LC_NUMERIC)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: CSV parsing and other issues (Re: LC_NUMERIC)
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 05:35:00 +0300

> Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 20:45:10 -0400
> From: Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, manikulin@gmail.com
>
> On 2021-06-07 15:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Sorry, I don't see the relevance.  I was talking about calling
> > functions, so how does some buffer enter this picture?  Buffers don't
> > have anything to do with the locale used by library functions called
> > by Emacs.
>
> No? If an Emacs user has two buffers in two separate languages, the
> buffer-local settings aren't / won't be respected?

First, language is different from locale.  And second, we don't even
have a buffer-local notion of language yet.  What we can support (but
seldom if ever do) is to have buffer-local case-conversion table,
which is a very small part of language- or locale-dependent settings.

So no, buffer-local aspects in general don't affect what you have in
mind, not yet anyway.