Re: master 82ccc3a: ; Mention the previous change in NEWS

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 82ccc3a: ; Mention the previous change in NEWS
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 18:21:19 +0300

On 08.06.2021 18:02, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

rgrep, which also has some ignores to handle, uses "." as the DIR
argument, so it should see no change.

That's just the default, right?

No, that's what it does: it passes for directory to search in through
the value of default-directory. The argument to 'find' is always ".".

Not sure I follow: the user could customize grep-find-template to put
a specific directory instead of <D>, right?

I'm talking about what the 'rgrep' command does. As well as its variants like zrgrep.

Customizing grep-find-template to include a specific directory sounds stupid: that would break rgrep and other commands that use it.

So I probably don't understand what you meant.

xref-matches-in-directory has no known callers anymore, but any
third-party code should see the IGNORES honored better with those old
versions of 'find'.

So we could say that any command which uses xref-matches-in-directory
is affected.

Is that better than saying that the variable changed? Possibly affecting
any code that uses it is an obvious implication.

How about saying both?

No objection from me.

We can say that about xref-matches-in-directory, noting that the change
is likely to only be noticeable with old versions of 'find'.

That'd be good, yes.

Which apparently includes macOS systems, but I'm not sure which
ones, and whether using "Homebrew" or not matters for this case.

Maybe also some *BSD?  We could mention macOS, or we could say
something like "non-GNU Find".

Some -- maybe.

But I tried one or two recent FreeBSD releases in a VM, and they didn't have that problem.