Re: master 4a1e97b: New user option for Git log switches

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: master 4a1e97b: New user option for Git log switches
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 19:01:44 +0300

Hi Michael,

On 09.06.2021 14:14, Michael Albinus wrote:

+(defcustom vc-git-log-switches t
+  "String or list of strings specifying switches for Git log under VC."
+  :type '(choice (const :tag "None" t)
+                 (string :tag "Argument String")
+                 (repeat :tag "Argument List" :value ("") string))
+  :version "28.1")

Is there a reason to use the t value for "None"? All other log switches
(vc-bzr-log-switches, vc-hg-log-switches, vc-src-log-switches) use nil
for this purpose, and it sounds also more natural to me as being an
empty list of strings.

nil also works.

The author followed the example of 'diff switches', where there is a certain hierarchy of variables to follow if the backend-specific one returns nil.

I figured it wouldn't be too bad to allow that possibility in the future, but you are probably right and we should simplify this.

'hg log' and 'git log' are pretty different after all.