Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 23:56:35 +0200

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 21:06:22 +0200
From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

>Before going this route, we need to check if native-comp is enough of an
>improvement and, if it isn't, try to improve it.

I work very extensively with jit compilers and similar and with
different architectures (ARM, ePIC, Intel).

Our native-compilation feature is not really JIT.  Once a Lisp file
was native-compiled, it is loaded from a file and used without any JIT
step.

Yes, I know, but it relies on the libgccjit. Doing the compilation at
once or dynamically will generate similar native code any way.

In any case the optimizations it can generate are very limited due to
the limited information about types, alignment, the complexity of data
structures and lisp types are dynamic.

Following the Andrea's blog he actually describes some of the ideas he
has to optimize the compiler. But that's still very limited and will
require a lot of work and probably some small modifications in the Elisp
syntax to make it optimal... something that will require many years and
a lot of discussions.