Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 01:52:12 +0200

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

> Going a bit more into this. And reconsidering tree-sitter.
>
> As there is already a tree-sitter module package with some interesting
> functionalities. (I know Eli didn't like some details in it's
> implementation)
>
> But maybe it is a good time to try to disable the cc-mode font-locking
> (I don't actually know if it is possible to do that), and repeat the
> scrolling benchmark only with the tree-sitter-mode and
> tree-sitter-hl-mode enabled?
>
> Just to see how it compares and how much of that approach is useful?

More easily, you can use some of the editors that already use
tree-sitter for fontification of C/C++ and do the PgDn test (which looks
like a rather silly test to me, because who navigates large files by
holding PgDn and why Emacs should support that terrible use case well?)
This would provide a valuable comparison point for little effort.

Although I'm more interested on accuracy, but it seems that the thread
was effectively and hopelessly hijacked :-/