Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 09:40:28 -0400

> @Stefan - I'm not sure I understand what you mean by troublesome for
> elisp hackers.  These grammars have a lisp-like dsl, and is pretty
> usable through C-M-x and defvars, see:
> https://github.com/emacs-csharp/csharp-mode/blob/master/csharp-tree-sitter.el#L44.

AFAIK the grammar itself is still written in Javascript.

> IME experience it's not the same as normal elisp hacking, but it's good
> enough.  That's only an opinion though.

The disadvantages I see for ELisp hackers are just technical hurdles
that can be overcome with extra tooling.  I'm not particularly worried
about them, indeed.

> These 410 lines covers way more than what CC Mode is atm.  It would be
> *great* to move the tree sitter part to emacs.

Agreed.  Maybe a first step would be to get copyright assignments and
include the tree sitter module in GNU ELPA?

        Stefan