Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 10:50:10 +0200

>> I do not like, for example, that inserting a quotation mark somewhere
>> into a Lisp buffer, with some delay repaints the entire rest of the
>> buffer just to undo that when I insert the closing quotation mark.
>>

> Since recently, that shouldn't happen anymore unless you wait a relatively
> long time. That time is configurable. Search for "antiblink". I added the
> feature and am interested in knowing if it's not performing as it should.

The idea is good but still not what I want.  I don't want the entire
rest of my buffer get refontified even when I do not stay on the same
line.

What I really wanted is a simple mechanism that refontifies text only at
most until the next open paren in column zero.  ISTR that Emacs behaved
like that in the past - maybe I got used to it back then, maybe also my
memory fails.

> Alternatively, you can also try a parenthesis pairing solution such as
> electric-pair-mode.

I dislike electricity.

martin