[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: New GC concept
Re: New GC concept
Mon, 21 Jun 2021 23:00:09 +1000
Not wanting to see this drop, I found a little time to bring the changes up to emacs master with a few notes:
1) now sits on top of a4fb5811f (Do not attempt to write .elc....)
2) The C will compile with a couple of warnings as the native comp cases are currently not handled.
3) There's dead code, commented code and other atrocities on top of the current wip
3) It segfaults during the pdumper step in the build, there is not immediately obvious reason for this, but I suspect a move or free occurs and it's not tracked
4) I have ignored the comments for large_vector and large_vector_meta for now, so the meta is kept with the vector struct.
I'm hoping now that it's a little closer to master and compiling someone might have a little more luck with the segfault issue I have been facing but I will keep try in the mean time,
On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 8:52 PM Eli Zaretskii <email@example.com
> From: Daniel Colascione <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 02:47:32 -0700
> On 6/4/21 1:00 AM, Daniel Mendler wrote:
> > Interesting, thank you for working on this!
> > I had hoped that a new GC would surface at some point given the recent
> > improvements regarding native compilation. As you say this can bring
> > Emacs on par with modern managed language runtimes. Can you elaborate a
> > bit more of some of your concepts?
> Thanks for taking a look.
And I really hope that more than just a look (and a discussion) will
come out of this. Making our GC more efficient is an important
development goal, of which over the years we've seen several attempts,
but unfortunately little advancement in practice. I hope interested
individuals will step forward and continue developing this (or any
other) initiative so that we will eventually be able to replace our GC
with a better one.
Thanks in advance for developing this aspect of Emacs.
Re: New GC concept, Andrea Corallo, 2021/06/04
Re: New GC concept, Matt Armstrong, 2021/06/07