Re: Highlight current line when using gud

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Highlight current line when using gud
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 15:27:03 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 13:54:06 +0200
> Cc: Zhiwei Chen <chenzhiwei03@kuaishou.com>, emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Condy Chen <condy0919@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Before this patch, dark theme users cannot distinguish the line from the
> > background even though hl-line-mode is enabled. Personally I can't.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the problem here -- hl-line-mode works fine
> for me when using a dark background.

Right, I wondered about that myself.  If some themes make the
highlighted current line hard to see, that's a problem with the face
definition of those themes.

> > Furthermore, users must set hl-line-sticky-flag to t to enable
> > highlight in all windows or move the point to the source file buffer,
> > otherwise only the arrow in fringe is helpful for which line program
> > run to. It's too restricted in such a situation.
> >
> > So I propose to add a new overlay of current line to make gud more
> > friendly and deprecate the old one.
>
> The patch seems to add a new overlay mechanism for gud that's switched
> on for all people?  And is "the old one" you want to deprecate
> hl-line-mode?

FWIW, I'm not opposed to such a change, but it must be an optional
feature (we could discuss the default value).  I don't think we can
force people to use this overlay.  Especially since on GUI displays
the arrow is shown in the fringe (not to mention the fact that
gud-gdb is deprecated in favor of gdb-mi.el).